All Monsters Attack (ゴジラ•ミニラ•ガバラ オール 怪獣大進撃?, lit. Godzilla, Minilla, Gabara: All Monsters Attack) is a Gojira Minira Gabara: Ōru Kaijū Daishingeki1969 tokusatsu kaiju film produced by Toho Company Ltd., and the tenth installment in the Godzilla series as well as the Showa series. The film was released to Japanese theaters on December 20, 1969.
Ichiro Miki is a highly imaginative but lonely latchkey kid growing up in urban Tokyo. Every day he comes home to his family's empty apartment. His only friends are a toymaker named Shinpei Inami and a young girl named Sachiko. Every day after school, Ichiro is terrorized by a gang of bullies led by a child named Gabara. To escape his loneliness, Ichiro fantasizes about visiting Monster Island, where he befriends Minilla, the son of Godzilla, who has the inexplicable power to change his size and speak English. During these daydreams, Ichiro watches as Minilla deals with his own bully, a monster also named Gabara. It is through these fantasies that he learns how to face his fears and fight back. These lessons also grant him the courage to outwit two bumbling bank robbers, as well as have the guts to stand up to Gabara and his gang in a final confrontation.
Staff role on the left, staff member's name on the right.
- Directed by Ishiro Honda
- Written by Shinichi Sekizawa
- Produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka
- Music by Kunio Miyauchi, Lilly Sasaki, Gendai Kano
- Cinematography by Sokei Tomioka
- Edited by Masahisa Himi
- Production Design by Takeo Kita
- Assistant Directing by Seiji Tani
- Special Effects by Sokei Tomioka, Eiji Tsuburaya, Ishiro Honda, Teruyoshi Nakano
Actor's name on the left, character played on the right.
- Tomonori Yazaki as Ichiro Miki
- Eisei Amamoto as Toy Consultant Shinpei Inami
- Sachio Sakai as Bank Robber Senbayashi
- Kazuo Suzuki as Bank Robber Okuda
- Kenji Sahara as Ichiro's Father Kenkichi Miki
- Machiko Naka as Ichiro's Mother Tamie Miki
- Shigeki Ishida as Landlord
- Midori Uchiyama as Saichiko
- Yoshifumi Tajima as Detective
- Chotaro Togin as Assistant Detective
- Yutaka Sada as Trainman
- Yutaka Nakayama as Billboard Painter
- Ikio Sawamura as Bartender
Weapons, Vehicles, and Races
- Main article: Gallery:All Monsters Attack.
- Main article: All Monsters Attack (Soundtrack).
- Godzilla, Minilla, Gabara: All Monsters Attack (Literal Japanese Title)
- Godzilla's Revenge (United States)
- Attack All Monsters (Original International Title)
- Minya, Son of Godzilla (Alternate American Title)
- The Island of the Monsters (La isla de los monstruos; Spain)
- The Return of Gorgo (Il ritorno di Gorgo; Italy)
All Monsters Attack was released on December 8, 1971 by Maron Films as Godzilla's Revenge on a double bill with Island of the Burning Damned in North American theaters. There are some minor alterations:
- Dialogue is dubbed to English.
- The Japanese version featured the vocal song Monster March over the opening credits, while the American version features the instrumental jazz piece "Crime Fiction" composed by Ervin Jereb.
- In the American version, Minilla is called "Minya," and is given a goofy male voice, while he was voiced by a female actress in the Japanese version.
In Japan, the film sold 1,480,000 tickets. This was over a million tickets less than the previous Godzilla film, Destroy All Monsters, and it was the first Godzilla film to sell less than 2 million tickets.
All Monsters Attack has gained very negative reviews from Godzilla fans, considering it the weakest of all the Godzilla films.
- Released: May 6, 1998
- Region: Region 1
- Language: English (Dolby Digital 1.0), English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Format: Color, Full Screen, Letterboxed, Widescreen, NTSC
- Other Details: 2.35:1 aspect ratio, 70 minutes run time, 1 disc, American version
Classic Media (2002)
- Released: September 17, 2002
- Region: Region `
- Language: English
- Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Dolby, NTSC
- Other Details: 1.33:1 aspect ratio, 70 minutes run time, 1 disc, American version
- Released: 2004
- Region: Region 2
- Language: Japanese
- Released: 2006
- Region: Region 4
Classic Media (2008)
- Released: July 1, 2012
- Region: Region 1
- Language: Japanese, English
- Format: Multiple Formats, Anamorphic, Widescreen, NTSC, Color, Subtitled
- Other Details: 2.35:1 aspect ratio, 69 minutes run time, 1 disc, Japanese and American version
- All Monsters Attack is considered by many fans to be the worst Godzilla film, often along with the 1998 film.
- Due to this film's extensive use of stock footage, it currently holds the title of the second-largest amount of kaiju footage shown in a single film, after its predecessor Destroy All Monsters.
- All Monsters Attack is similar to Gamera: Super Monster because both were made in the Showa era, have a large amount of stock footage, have a kid as the main protagonist, and are considered the worst in their respective series.
- This is one of three films in which monsters speak. The other two are Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, though it was translated by the Shobijin, and Godzilla vs. Gigan, where Godzilla speaks to Anguirus.
- Although Ichiro says Rodan lives on Monster Island, he does not make any kind of appearance in the entire movie.
This is a list of references for All Monsters Attack. These citations are used to identify the reliable sources on which this article is based. These references appear inside articles in the form of superscript numbers, which look like this: